Isabel dos Santos: ‘First African female billionaire’
Her first venture was a restaurant in Luanda called Miami Beach, said the magazine that tracks the world’s rich.
Most of the population in oil-rich Angola live on about $2 (£1.25) a day.
Angola is striving to tackle the physical, social and political legacy of a 27-year civil war that ravaged the country after independence from Portugal.
The conflict ended in 2002 and Angola has since emerged as one of Africa’s leading oil producers and fastest-growing economies.
The family of President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos - who has been in power for 33 years - controls a large chunk of that economy.
"When you tease out the ownership and controlling interests in Angola it reads like a Who’s Who of family members and party and military chiefs," Peter Lewis, an African studies professor at Johns Hopkins University in the US,told Forbes.
Correspondents say Ms dos Santos is a relatively shy public figure despite her successful business career.
Since setting up her restaurant in the capital, Luanda, in 1997 she has become an influential businesswoman in Angola and Portugal.
With a 28.8% stake in Zon, she sits on the Portuguese media company’s board and is its largest shareholder, Forbes said.
She also sits on the board of Angola’s Banco BIC and is reported to have a 25% share of the bank, the magazine reported.
This is Africa, our Africa
- randomtactics likes this
- topless-ninja reblogged this from deebott
- mistakingkimmi reblogged this from deebott
- protocol94 reblogged this from deebott
- rockerdaan likes this
- sundaysatbest likes this
- thedankslurpee reblogged this from deebott
- thedankslurpee likes this
- babymondo reblogged this from deebott
- the-error reblogged this from deebott
- aponteperdida reblogged this from deebott
- backpackslacker reblogged this from deebott
- lycheeco likes this
- ghostsaidthat likes this
- ghostsaidthat reblogged this from deebott
- ridemy-cobb reblogged this from deebott
- jetblackslim reblogged this from deebott
- jetblackslim likes this
- drakereligion likes this
- chanciesvents reblogged this from deebott
- bigdaddyvc likes this
- sinsecretosestaves likes this
- deebott reblogged this from ourafrica
- deebott likes this
- theyorix reblogged this from ourafrica
- powerlesswoman reblogged this from ourafrica
- youtube-and-i reblogged this from ourafrica
- nanaylanaygurl likes this
- facelesstwenty-somethingbeauty likes this
- hopesrain likes this
- chelebelleslair likes this
- 1shara reblogged this from daftmongrel and added:
- daftmongrel reblogged this from 1shara and added:
- angolan-beauty likes this
- angolan-beauty reblogged this from ourafrica
- hersilentmonologue likes this
- bronzesugar likes this
- thequeennatasha likes this
- thinkh2 reblogged this from fleshtemple
- misspostalot reblogged this from ourafrica
- loyaltyequalsfrustration reblogged this from ourafrica
- loyaltyequalsfrustration likes this
- sanspower likes this
- ms-millie likes this
- note-a-bear reblogged this from emogentcorp
- makeitthroughthis likes this
- emogentcorp reblogged this from private-revolution
- thashining reblogged this from dawnism101
- uprightambition reblogged this from ourafrica