Isabel dos Santos: ‘First African female billionaire’
Her first venture was a restaurant in Luanda called Miami Beach, said the magazine that tracks the world’s rich.
Most of the population in oil-rich Angola live on about $2 (£1.25) a day.
Angola is striving to tackle the physical, social and political legacy of a 27-year civil war that ravaged the country after independence from Portugal.
The conflict ended in 2002 and Angola has since emerged as one of Africa’s leading oil producers and fastest-growing economies.
The family of President Jose Eduardo Dos Santos - who has been in power for 33 years - controls a large chunk of that economy.
"When you tease out the ownership and controlling interests in Angola it reads like a Who’s Who of family members and party and military chiefs," Peter Lewis, an African studies professor at Johns Hopkins University in the US,told Forbes.
Correspondents say Ms dos Santos is a relatively shy public figure despite her successful business career.
Since setting up her restaurant in the capital, Luanda, in 1997 she has become an influential businesswoman in Angola and Portugal.
With a 28.8% stake in Zon, she sits on the Portuguese media company’s board and is its largest shareholder, Forbes said.
She also sits on the board of Angola’s Banco BIC and is reported to have a 25% share of the bank, the magazine reported.
This is Africa, our Africa
- facelesstwenty-somethingbeauty reblogged this from manifestingwomanist
- facelesstwenty-somethingbeauty likes this
- manifestingwomanist reblogged this from misspostalot
- hopesrain likes this
- fallen-rain likes this
- chelebelleslair likes this
- 1shara reblogged this from daftmongrel and added:
- daftmongrel reblogged this from 1shara and added:
- angolan-beauty likes this
- angolan-beauty reblogged this from ourafrica
- hersilentmonologue likes this
- bronzesugar likes this
- thequeennatasha likes this
- thinkh2 reblogged this from loveisthewateroflife
- misspostalot reblogged this from ourafrica
- loyaltyequalsfrustration reblogged this from ourafrica
- loyaltyequalsfrustration likes this
- sanspower likes this
- ms-millie likes this
- note-a-bear reblogged this from emogentcorp
- makeitthroughthis likes this
- emogentcorp reblogged this from private-revolution
- thashining reblogged this from dawnism101
- uprightambition reblogged this from ourafrica
- uprightambition likes this
- ausetkmt reblogged this from stopwhitewashing
- charl4n likes this
- kali-fullofwordsnthoughts reblogged this from locsgirl
- asongofsexandsociety reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- anapaulasteinkamp reblogged this from mochafleur
- queeeeeeeeeeenchef reblogged this from pretty-heavy
- donworld76 reblogged this from mochafleur
- pretty-heavy reblogged this from paws-grandad
- adebisistate-of-mind likes this
- mikkelsensdesign likes this
- genki0136 likes this
- thelifeoflagab reblogged this from babycakesbriauna and added:
- thelifeoflagab likes this
- popcornjunkie likes this
- panteronaisonit likes this
- accras likes this
- 13-above-the-night likes this
- younggiftedblk likes this
- llamasgotoheaven likes this
- janangpot likes this
- amillionparachutes likes this
- outlawjoz likes this
- steppauseturnpausepivotstepstep likes this
- lenadreamsingold reblogged this from paws-grandad
- babycakesbriauna reblogged this from paws-grandad